There have been a lot of instances of Windows could not complete the installation error. People try to install the windows Operating System on their computer but are stuck due to this error. The error statement says that ‘Windows Could Not Complete The Installation. To Install Windows On This Computer, Restart The Installation’. If this error occurs on your computer, then there is an issue with the way you are installing the setup. When the operating system starts up for for the first time, there are two modes in which it can be started. Those modes are the Audit mode and the Welcome mode. The root cause of this error is that you are using the audit mode in order to get the Operating System installed on your machine.
Let us see what the Audit mode actually is
The Audit mode is used to add custom mods to the images of the original windows files. This mode has network enabled. When you boot the Windows Operating System, you will be taken directly to the welcome screen. The welcome screen can be skipped and you can start the audit mode directly. What it does is that the mode allows you to skip to the audit mode i.e. to bring the desktop up immediately after installing and booting.
The error statement ‘Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.’ will get you stuck in the loop of rebooting and this will stop you in your tracks and make you feel annoyed. We have compiled this guide in order to help you get through all the problems and save you the trouble of jumping from forums to forums in order to find the fix that works for you.
3 Fixes for Windows Could Not Complete The Installation Error
Fix 1: Make sure the Admin account is enabled
- Use Shift + F10 to open Command Prompt. (On the error display screen)
- Use the command: MMC and press enter
- Next use the File functionality and click the Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Open the Computer Management option.
- Enable the radio button beside Local computer and then press the finish button
- Open up the Computer Management (Local)
- Open up System Tools
- Open Local Users and Groups
- Open Users
- Select the Administrator option
- Disable the Account is disabled option and click OK.
- right click the Administrator option and then select the Set Password option in order to set a password.
- Close all the windows and check whether the errors are gone.
Fix 2: Repair the Registry
The registry is used as the central database to store the information on executing all the functions so that everything runs the way it is supposed to run. The registry keeps on running 24/7 and that is the reason there is a higher chance for the registry to get errors. If the functions which are required to be executed in order to run the installation of a program are malfunctioning, there will be errors as usual.
- Once the error screen pops up, press the Shift+F10 button in order to open the Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt, type regedit and press Enter
- Open the directory named Computer
- Open the directory named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Open System > Setup and then Status
- Change the values if they do not match these:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\AuditBoot Value:0
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion\setup.exe Value: 3
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\GeneralizationState Value: 7
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\UnattendPasses\auditSystem Value: 0
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion\audit.exe Value: 0
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\CleanupState Value: 2
- Restart your computer and the audit mode will be disabled
Fix 3: Disabling the Audit mode
- Run the command known as sysprep in order to disable the windows licensing mode to Default.
- Open the Command Prompt using Administrator privileges
- Type the command sysprep /oobe /generalize
- The Audit mode will be disabled after you input this command and press the Enter key
- Restart your computer after you are done with disabling the Audit mode
The issue should be normally solved but in case you are still facing this issue follow the steps mentioned below
- Type regedit in cmd and press the Enter key
- Open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE directory
- Open Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\State
- Click the state Registry Key and then delete the ImageState displayed on the right side
- Close each and everything after making sure that all the changes are applied and restart your computer
- This method should help you fix the Windows Could Not Complete The Installation problem
The above methods should help you fix the issues you are facing. We have compiled this method using a number of different sources so that you will not need to browse a ton in order to find a single fix. Make sure you try each and every fix in chronological order. We hope that this guide will solve your problems. Good luck.