If you are facing the Service Host: Local System (svchost.exe) High CPU and Disk Usage problem and your resources are visibly being overused in the task manager’s performance section, you are at the perfect place. We will find the root cause of the Service Host: Local System High CPU & Disk Usage problem by trying several methods. All of the things like the memory, CPU, disk usage issues can be solved using the guide that we have created here.
The Service Host: Local System (svchost.exe) is a container which helps a number of processes run using the resources more effectively. That is the main reason, troubleshooting this issue becomes a complex task because it could be a specific application causing this issue.
You will be able to find all the processes running under the service host local system. All you need to do is open up the Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl+Shift+Esc buttons and open up the processes tab. You will only need to expand the process named Service Local Host System and you will find everything necessary under it.
You will be able to observe the usage of the service host process but you won’t have any idea about the particular applications which are causing this ruckus running under that process. We will solve that problem here. We have compiled a number of fixes which are required in order to solve the Service Host: Local System (svchost.exe) high resource problem. There is no global fix for this problem because different computers use different configurations and a slight change in the configuration might mean a different root cause. We do not want you to jump from one website to another searching for a fix which is specific to your system config so make sure that you follow all the fixes listed below.
There have been instances where the users have cause irreversible damage to their systems. The damage is caused by the misconfiguration of certain files which are important to the operating system. Make sure you create a system restore point so that your system will be recoverable and you can go all out on all the fixes which are mentioned below.
The first thing you should do before exploring the fixes provided here is to find the process which is causing the Service Host: Local System (svchost.exe) High CPU and Disk Usage problem and you can use the Process Explorer utility provided on the Microsoft website for the same. All you need to do is search for it and download the program.
- Open the program and click on the column labelled ‘CPU’ so that you can sort the processes by the CPU resource usage.
- Right click the svchost.exe process and open up the properties menu.
- Open thread and find the service which is using a high amount of CPU.
- End that service or multiple services if they all are using the CPU too much.
- You should now disable them using the services.msc utility.
- You can open the run dialog by using the Start + R buttons.
- Type services.msc and press the enter button.
- Right click the service causing problems and disable it or stop it.
How to Fix Service Host: Local System High CPU and Disk Usage
Fix 1 – Use Windows Utility commands
- Press the Start + X keys in order to open up the command prompt using administrator privileges
- Use the command: Sfc /scannow
- If that command does not work, alternative command:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
- Once this is done, reboot your computer and open up the command prompt using administrative privileges again
- Type in the following commands one by one and press the enter button:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Alternative commands in case the commands above do not work:
Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess
- After you are done, make sure that you restart your computer in order for the changes to take systemwide effect.
This should help you with solving the Service Host: Local System High CPU usage issue.
If the Service Host: Local System High Disk Usage problem still persists, make sure to jump on to the next fix in order to find the root cause of the problem in your system.
Fix 2 – Modify or remove the Software Distribution Folder
- Press the Start + R keys in order to open up the run dialog
- Type the command services.msc in it and press the enter key
- Stop the Windows update service and then open the C > Windows > SoftwareDistribution directory
- Delete everything and start the Windows update service using the services.msc command again
This should help you with solving the Service Host: Local System (svchost.exe) High CPU and Disk Usage problem.
We have provided the best fixes required in order to stop the Service Host: Local System (svchost.exe) High CPU and Disk Usage problem. Make sure that you follow each and every step under all the fixes in order to completely remove the problem. We hope that this guide helps you out. Good luck.