There is a small chance that you are one of the user who is facing the There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program and, if you are one, you have come at the right place because we are going to discuss and solve that very problem here. In this case, when the users try to open Microsoft related services, probably Microsoft excel most of the times, the error pop up saying There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program appears.
This says that the Microsoft Windows Operating System is somehow not able to connect to the Microsoft Office service apps. When you click the ok button and try to open up the Microsoft service once again, the error will be cleared out and you will surely be able to access all the files which you want to but when you restart your computer and boot into the Windows OS once again, the issues will alert you again.
The error statements which you might face in this case are:
- There was a problem sending the command to the program.
- An error occurred when sending commands to the program
- Cannot find the file (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.
- Windows cannot find the file, Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
There are cases when this error messages does not go away and the issue is persistent. In that case, you will not be able to get access any document you want which is related to the Microsoft office services. The persistence depends on the settings of the computer which the user is using. There is a chance that the error will go away after pressing the ok button and there is a chance that it won’t.
Our experts have created this very guide in order to fix any type of issue related to the microsoft service connections. We have collected all the fixes from all the resources and compiled them in a way that the problem becomes easy to solve. We do not want you to waste your time by jumping from website to website in search of the problems so make sure that you follow our guide.
There have been instances where the users have cause irreversible damage to their systems. The damage is caused by the misconfiguration of certain files which are important to the operating system. Make sure you create a system restore point so that your system will be recoverable and you can go all out on all the fixes which are mentioned below.
3 Fixes for There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Error
Fix 1: Stop Dynamic Exchange of Data
- Open up Microsoft Excel and click on file > Excel options
- Click on the Advanced option
- Disable the option that says to Ignore the Applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)
- Make sure that you have applied all the changes and restart your computer
Fix 2: Change the Administrator Options
- Open up the Start menu and look up the application which is causing this error in the search bar.
- Right click the result in order to Open the File Location
- Now, right click the application’s executable file and open the Properties of that file
- Disable the Run as Administrator program under the tab named compatibility
- Make sure you save all the changes and restart your computer
This should be able to fix the There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program error and allow you to access all the applications related to the microsoft services once more
Fix 3: Repairing the services using the default application wizard utility
- Press the Start + R key combinations in order to open up the Run dialog
- Make sure that you type appwiz.cpl in it and press the Enter key
- Search the option called Microsoft office in the list of the applications that you see
- Right click the name and click on the Change button
- You will be presented with an option to Repair it once the wizard to change the program appears
- Make sure that you click on the Repair option and follow the on screen instructions
- After all the changes are applied, restart your computer and see if the error ‘there was a problem sending the command to the program’ has disappeared.
This is the best guide you will find anywhere in order to fix the error. Make sure that you follow each and every step under each and every fix so that you can fix this error easily. We hope that this guide helps you solve ‘there was a problem sending the command to the program’ problem. Good luck.