Booting is a crucial process of any windows system especially when a system proceeds to get launched for execution. While booting the system, a number of things can go wrong. The likely option is, Firstly the Windows runs into ARM (automatic repair mode) and immediately fixes this issue. When this fails, the user needs to Reset and Refresh the system manually. But a lot of times this actions might be in vain and the Windows reset get fails with a generated error message such as “There was a problem resetting your PC“.
The manual trial for solving the issue ends with an error message that says, ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’. You could got stuck into this error and feel helpless. This error message seems to be increasing in severity day after day. This problem can happen in almost every Windows but especially for Windows 10 and this further complicates this problem on a much larger scale. The more people seek updated Windows and install the Windows 10, the issue gets more common.
There are many people who are struggling with the same issue and surfing on the internet to fix them. Therefore, we are listing below a few very useful fixes which will rescue you and your computer from this kind of issue. Though the issue is very common to Windows 10, the various solutions we are exploring here are amazingly helpful for other OS versions as well like Windows 8 or 8.1.
Causes of the error: ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’
The issue of this error message is getting increasingly common. Microsoft officials admitted that this error message may arise due to a bug in Windows 10. They further provide some specific conditions and causes that may cause your PC to experience the error message. These conditions are here –
- Your PC was not an upgrade from Windows 7, or 8.1 and it directly came with pre-installed Windows 10
- Your PC manufacturer has enabled the compression to reduce disk space that was required for pre-installed applications.
- You have created the USB recovery drive using the ‘Create a recovery drive’ feature for a Windows 10 PC.
Fix There Was A Problem Resetting Your PC [Windows 7/ Windows 10]
Here is a guide for you to tackle the issue in your PC. You can get rid of the error message of ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’ from your system. Breaking down the different solutions for the different causes that may help you to get success in running your PC well –
Fix 1: Using Command prompt
Command Prompt is a good option to check for system file. By this method, you can simply solve this dreaded error. You need to follow the below steps consciously –
- Start from Power button of the Start menu on your computer screen. Now, click on ‘Restart’ option but along with press the Shift Key on your keyboard.
- Now, click on Troubleshoot and then go for Advanced options.
- Here you will need to click for Command Prompt.
- Then you need to select the administrator account of your computer and if you have set the password for the account then enter and click on Continue.
- Once you are done with the above steps, now type the below mentioned commands in the command prompt window. Press Enter after each command:
ren system system.001
ren software software.001
- These commands will take you to the boot options but you will need to close the window.
- Click on the ‘continue’ option to boot your Windows 10 and try restarting your PC.
This is a very useful solution to fix your issue an error message. Check whether the problem is resolved now; otherwise go for the next solution.
Fix 2: Using Recovery USB
If the Command Prompt solution fails, here is the next solution that you can recover your computer by using Recovery USB. Follow the below steps to proceed the same –
- Start by inserting an empty USB Flash drive into the PC. (recommended storage spaces are 16/32GB.)
- Now type ‘recovery drive’ in search bar from the Start menu. It’ll take some time for the window to appear.
- Now, click on Create a recovery drive from the list and wait until the window appears.
- Click ‘Yes’ when User Account Control prompts.
- Make it remember that recovering a system from the drive will remove all present files and apps. Therefore, you must select on Backup system files which will lead your PC to recover and backup your data. Now, proceed to Next.
- Select USB drive and click Next.
- Now, click on Create to make recovery drive. Click finish after the process is completed.
- After all these, reboot your systemw and keep pressing the specific keys that are guided into the boots options page.
- Continue the process and boot directly from the USB recovery drive.
- At last, click on Recovery to directly insert from a drive and keep following the instructions that appear on the screen.
Fix 3: Clean Install Windows
After applying so many solutions and tricks to fix your PC and they all haven’t worked so far. This is the last but most impactful fix. You need to follow the below steps –
- First, insert the Windows installation media device and start your computer.
- Now, from the installation media whether it is USB or DVD, format the drive by pressing the key to boot the system.
- Then, reinstall the Windows by keep following the instruction on the screen.
This method will surely fix the problem by cleaning the install windows and reinstall again.
Here are the three most useful and preferred fixes to deal with the issue ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’. Apart from these, some other methods that you may apply are System Restore, SFC or many more. You can also get it fixed by visiting the Microsoft thread official.