This is one of the most annoying problems which the users face. The latest Windows 10 Operating System includes an option which is known as Reset your PC and it is used in order to restore all the configuration values to the factory default settings.
Sometimes, users face errors and this limits their productivity. That is the reason some users prefer to directly jump on this button to solve all their small errors easily and effectively. Some errors are only solvable by reinstalling the Windows Operating System. To tackle that issue, this button was created. The user will not require an installation media for resetting all the options.
Sometimes, users faces an issue where the reset button will not work and there will be an error message which will be popping up. That error message will state There was a problem resetting your PC and once you reboot your computer, you will be stuck and you won’t be able to boot up into the Operating System.
There are a number of speculations to why this ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’ issue might be occurring in your system. Some of them are:
- The device which you are using was originally a Windows 10 device and was not upgraded from the previous versions.
- The compression feature was enabled by the vendor in order to reduce the usage of the disk space.
- You might have used the feature known as ‘create a recovery drive’ in your Windows 10 Operating System.
- You removed everything from your computer by booting up using the USB recovery disk.
If you have done any of the above things, there is a high chance that you might be facing the There was a problem resetting your PC error and you might not be able to start up your OS. We have compiled a list of fixes specifically for solving this problem. The fixes have been collected from internal as well as external sources. We make had made sure that the fixes are legit by testing them on our systems. Different computers use different configurations and that is the reason, the root cause for this problem might be different for each and every device. Therefore, we highly recommend that you try each and every fix in order to find the method that works out for you.
There have been a number of instances where the users have misconfigured the computer to a level which is beyond measure. That is the reason we recommend you to create a system restore point in case you are a beginner or an advanced user who is trying out something fancy.
How to Fix the There was a problem resetting your PC error
Fix 1: Use the Automatic Repair Utility
- Use the Bootable installation image drive in order to boot into the setup
- Press any key and select the language according to your preferences
- Click on the link to repair your computer and click on the option to troubleshoot
- Click on the advanced options and select the option to use automatic repair
- Follow the on screen instructions and let the scan and the repairing process be completed
- Reboot your computer once everything has been done and the ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’ error should be gone.
If the There was a problem resetting your PC error still persists, make sure to jump on to the next fix in order to find the root cause of this issue.
Fix 2: Fixing the boot sector and modifying the boot config
- Use the bootable drive in order to open the menu once again
- Press any key and select your preferred language
- Press the next button and click on the option to repair your computer
- Click on the advanced options menu and select the option which says command prompt
- Use the following commands:
- And make sure to press the enter key after inputting each and every command
- Alternative commands in case they do not work:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
- After this is done, exit everything and reboot your computer
This is one of the most comprehensive guides you can find in order to fix the booting errors. Make sure that you follow each and every step under each and every fix in order to find the right fix for your config. We hope that this helps you solve your problems. Good luck.