This is one of the most common errors which is faced on a Windows computer. This error will not allow you to modify your files as well as your folders on your computer and when you try to do so, this ‘You don’t have permission to save in this location‘ error will pop up. The main problem is that the HDD format procedure was related to the old NTFS file system in the Windows and you did not try to format the disk since that time.
We know that formatting and erasing all the data on your hard disk is out of the question for most of the people and that is the main reason we have created this guide. We will provide all the alternatives which are possible and help you solve this problem so that you can finally modify all the files and folders.
The error statement which might pop up will be similar to:
‘C:\Pictures\File.jpg You don’t have permission to save in this location. Contact the Administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the public pictures folder instead? Yes or No.’
You might want to save new files or modify the existing ones but when you try to do so, this error will prompt on your screen. Even if you are the owner of the files and logged in with an account with all the administrator privileges, this won’t work out that easy.
This guide is a combination of multiple fixes so that the user does not need to jump from one website to another in search of a the fix which is specific to you PC’s configuration. We have collected all the fixes from as many sources as possible and practically tried them all in order to check the legitimacy and the rate of success. Make sure to follow all the fixes so that you can find the root cause which is specific to your configuration.
There have been instances where the users have cause irreversible damage to their systems. The damage is caused by the misconfiguration of certain files which are important to the operating system. Make sure you create a system restore point so that your system will be recoverable and you can go all out on all the fixes which are mentioned below.
Fix: You don’t have permission to save in this location Error
Fix 1 – Use Administrative Privileges
- Press the Start + R keys in order to open up the run dialog
- Type in the command netplwiz and make sure you press the enter key after that
- This should open up the Window which says user accounts
- Select the username which you have logged in through and is giving an error message
- Click on the Properties button once the username is highlighted
- Open the window which says group membership
- Enable the radio button next to administrator and click on the apply button
- After all the changes have been applied, make sure you close all the windows and reboot the computer.
- This should help you get the permissions in order to modify all the files and folders again
If the ‘You don’t have permission to save in this location. Contact the Administrator to obtain permission.’ error still persists, make sure to jump on to the next fix in order to find the root cause of your problem.
Fix 2 – Modify the Permissions
- Open the C drive and open up the properties by right clicking the C drive
- Open up the Security menu
- Click on the edit button and enable the option to have full control for home users and administrator
- Hit the apply button and press the enter key
- Open the properties menu of the C drive once more and click the security menu
- Click on the advanced button and click the button to change the permissions
- Highlight the username which consists this error and click the edit button
- Make sure all the settings are applied and then close all the windows
- Reboot your computer so that the system wide effect takes place
This is one of the best guide you can use in order to fix the You don’t have permission to save in this location. Contact the Administrator to obtain permission error. Make sure that you follow each and every step in order to fix this error in a hassle free manned. We hope that this guides helps you. Good luck!