There is a high chance that you might face the scrolling issues in your windows 10 computer. The mouse might malfunction and the settings are not changeable because of this bug. In case you are facing these issues, this is the right place to be for you because we are going to discuss all the causes and fixes right here. Sometimes, the scroll wheel might start working too fast or slow because of this problem and sometimes it might literally stop working. The error statement which you might encounter might be somewhat similar to this: “Some mouse settings might not work until you connect a Microsoft mouse to a USB port on your computer or set up a Microsoft mouse that uses Bluetooth technology.”Many users might be curious as to how this works out. There are multiple speculations for this problem. Some of them are, driver compatibility issues, hardware malfunctioning, i/o peripherals malfunctioning, IntelliPoint software/driver problems.
Our professionals have combined the best guide right here. There are a number of fixes which are gathered from the internet as well as the external sources which are totally legit. We should let you know that there is no global fix for this issue and you might need to try a number of different fixes in order to get your job done. The reason is that different machines have different configurations and therefore, the root causes of this issue might differ from machine to machine. We do not want you to waste your time looking for the fix to this problem by jumping from website to website just so that you can find the fix specific to your machine so make sure that you follow our full fledged guide.
There are several things you can try before jumping to the fixing part:
- Restart your computer because sometimes, even the dire problems can be fixed by a simple restart.
- Try using the devices which are causing possible errors with another computer.
- Try connecting the peripherals to different ports.
- Change the battery of your mouse and try again in case it is a wireless variant.
- See if the scrolling problem only appears in specific programs and not all. This could indicate something else.
2 Easy Fixes for Mouse Scroll Not Working Issue
Fix 1: Clean the Configuration and Boot your Computer
There are chances that something else is causing the configuration of your computer to malfunction and that could lead to the problems in scrolling related issues. To fix that, you might need to disable the third party applications to meddle with the configuration when the PC boots by performing a clean boot.
Follow the steps given below in order to fix that
- Press the Start + R keys in order to open up the Run dialog
- Type in msconfig and press the Ok button
- Search for Selective Startup in the General section
- Disable the Load Startup Items option and enable the Hide All Microsoft Services option
- Click the Disable All button and the click the option to open up the Task Manager in the Startup window
- Click on the button to disable all and make sure that all the changes have been applied
- Reboot your computer so that the changes take full effect.
This should be able to fix all the issues that you are facing related to the mouse scroll
If the ‘Mouse scroll not working in windows 10’ issue still persists, make sure to follow up with the next fix so that you can find out the core reason.
Fix 2: Recheck Mouse Properties
- Press the Start + R key in order to open up a Run dialog
- Type the command main.cpl and click the Ok button
- This should open up the Mouse Properties
- Select wheel and then set the value of the option ‘the following number of lines at a time’ to 5.
- Make sure to apply all the settings and then click on the Device Settings
- Reset everything to default by clicking the Default button
- Open the Gestures tab and enable the Vertical as well as the Horizontal Scrolling options
- Click the Apply button and close all the windows
- Make sure that you restart your computer after all the steps mentioned above for the changes to take full effect.
This should be able to fix the ‘Mouse scroll not working in windows 10’ problem.
We have created the perfect guide so that you can troubleshoot and solve all the issues in your computer. Make sure that you follow each and every step that is listed under the fixes so that you can find out the underlying cause and solve the ‘Mouse scroll not working in windows 10’ problem. We hope that this guide helps you. Good luck.