Everyone stores media files on their computer and if the media files become inaccessible, we might face a dire situation. People generally panic in such situations because they might think that there is a problem with the media files and they might be damaged.
This error comes forth when most of the Windows users update their Windows version to a new one. When they try and open up a PDF file or other media files such as the JPEG, they are unable to do so and they receive an error which states Invalid Value for Registry becomes a barrier.
The registry is the core of the system and it consists of multiple values which are required to run the media files as well as the PDF application. The reason the error Invalid Value for Registry becomes a barrier is because there are modifications in the registry system required in order to run the system smoothly but the values which are needed to run the media files remain the same old values instead of the ones which are compatible with the latest version.
We have compiled all the fixes from different internal as well as external sources which are specialized in error solving. All of the fixes have been tried and tested by our users. We have listed them according to the success rate. There are multiple fixes because different computers require different fixes in order to find out the root cause of the problem.
The reason is because all the computers are configured differently and a slight difference in configuration might mean a different cause.
There have been instances where the users have cause irreversible damage to their systems. The damage is caused by the misconfiguration of certain files which are important to the operating system. Make sure you create a system restore point so that your system will be recoverable and you can go all out on all the fixes which are mentioned below.
How to Fix Invalid value for registry error
Fix 1 – Reset the media viewing application
There might be a problem with the configuration cache of the application and therefore, we must first try and modify that in order to see if the errors go away
- Press the Start + I button in order to open up the settings menu
- Click on the Apps and features option in the left side of the opened window
- Look up for the photo application and click that
- You will be able to see the link to the advanced options once you highlight the photos application, open it up
- You will be able to find the reset button under the advanced options, click on it
- If any on screen instructions pop up, follow them and have some patience because resetting this application might take some time
- This should fix the Invalid Value For Registry Error on Windows 10 and 7
- If the Invalid Value for Registry Error still persists, make sure that you follow the next fix in order to find the root cause of this problem
Fix 2 – Cleaning the registry system and fixing the errors
- Press the Start + R button in order to open up the run dialog.
- Type the command regedit and press the enter button in order to open up the Registry editor.
- Navigate to the path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe
- Under Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe, you will find keys with the version number similar to Microsoft.Windows.Photos_17.214.10010.0_xxx
- You will find some keys to be outdated and some will be new, delete all the ones with a smaller version number to fix this issue.
- If you are unable to delete them, make sure that you right click them and open the properties, open up the advanced options and make yourself the owner.
- Make sure that you assign all the rights of the keys to yourself and then you will be able to delete all the keys by performing the same.
- This should fix the Invalid Value For Registry Error while viewing JPEG and PNG images.
- If the ‘Invalid Value for Registry Error’ still persists, make sure that you follow the next fix in order to find the root cause of this problem.
Fix 3 – Use the registry cleaner application
The registry is the center of the system which has all the necessary objects, functions and dependencies stored in order to keep the Windows Operating System up and running continuously.
Manually trying to mess with the registry might seem a little sensitive to a lot of users and that is the reason one should use a cleaner which automatically does all the things for you in no time.
Just search for the term ‘registry cleaner’ in your search engine and make sure to download it from a website which is legit. Also make sure to check for all the comments related to the registry cleaner so that you know that it works perfectly.
This should fix the Invalid Value For Registry Error and you should be able to view JPEG and PNG images without any further problems. Additionally, you should also be able to view PDF files.
This is one of the best guides that you can use in order to fix the error and access the JPG/JPEG/PDF as well as all the other files causing a ruckus. Make sure that you follow each and every step which has been listed under the fixes in this guide in order to fix all the errors in a hassle free manner. We hope that this guide helps you out. Good luck.