This guide has been created for you so that you are able to solve ‘the remote procedure call failed and did not execute’ error using a step by step approach. Unlike other guides out there, you will surely find a straightforward beginner-friendly guide here which won’t cause you any trouble and the outcome will be the same i.e. you errors will be gone.
There is a chance that when you try to update your Windows version, your device might start freezing and becomes unresponsive. You might receive this error when you try to open ‘My Computer’, Control Panel or Documents and there is a chance that you will get it when you are trying to search for something using the Windows custom search functionality.
As discussed previously, the error message ‘the remote procedure call failed and did not execute’ is an error related to the RPC (Remote Procedure Call). This thing is responsible for helping an application to request services from an application which does not exist on the same machine. Other actions might include performing the resolution related to the objects in the conceptual container where objects are created and requests related to activation.
Therefore, it is necessary for the computer to keep the RPC (Remote Procedure Call running) for safety purposes. We know that you might be facing this error frequently and also you don’t want it to pop back up again. Fix the issue before it further damages the system. You must also make sure to check your computer for any Malware, Viruses, Trojans or PUP (potentially unwanted programs). Below, you will be provided with the instructions required in order to solve the ‘the remote procedure call failed and did not execute’ error which is notified to you by the explorer process. You will once and for all be able to use all the functionalities provided to you by the explorer.exe file and will be able to perform everything like searching, opening, moving, renaming, copying without any hassle.
Steps to Fix “The remote procedure call failed and did not execute” Error
Fix 1: Change your RPC settings (Remote Procedure Call)
- Open up the Start menu
- Type services.msc and once you get a result, press Enter
- Search for Remote Procedure Call and see if the Startup type for that file is set to Automatic
- Search for the DCOM server Process launcher and the way it starts up should be Automatic too
- If all of it is as mentioned above, pinpoint the location of RPC (Remote Procedure Call) locator.
- Check out the General tab and select the Startup Type as Manual
- Restart your computer to make sure all the changes take effect
Fix 2: Run SFC Scan
- Open up the Start menu
- Type CMD and when you get the results, run the Command Prompt as Administrator by right-clicking on it.
- Once it is launched, type the command sfc /scannow and press Enter
- Have some patience because it might take some time
Fix 3: Run Malware/Virus Scan using AntiVirus
- There is a chance that you might be getting this error because your files are corrupted or damaged due to an infection. You must make sure that it is not the case by scanning your computer. If that is the case, you might need to remove the malicious infection as soon as possible so that it does not damage your system even further.
- You will need to download an antivirus software. If you don’t already have one. You can look up for the antiviruses which are free and from a trusted source, for example, the avast free antivirus and a good anti-malware. Malwarebytes anti-malware is sufficient for almost all of the cases and it will provide you with a 30 day trial period too!
Fix 4: Clean Registry
The registry is responsible for storing all the pieces of functions and methods which make all your applications work in harmony. The registry is the one thing which keeps on running 24/7 because other applications are dependent on it. It is created when you first boot into the Windows system after installing the Windows OS.
The registry database which is the central database for all the important information might be corrupted and might be in a need to be cleaned and repaired.
Therefore, please make sure to download a free registry cleaner software from the internet. You will surely find a good one free of cost but do make sure that it is from a legit source with good reviews because, if not, it might cause you even more trouble if it turns out to be a malicious file.
The above fixes should be more than enough to fix all your issues related to the RPC (Remote Procedure Call) and give you access to the explorer UI functionalities like copy-pasting, searching, opening my computer, documents, drives etc. Good luck!