There are loads and loads of errors which the Windows users are facing these days. The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to Error is one of the errors which the users are facing. This error is fatal because it blocks the user from accessing their computer and it might be a Personal Work Computer for many users. The users facing this issue are frustrated, and that is the reason we have devised a custom-tailored solution for them all. These fixes have been made by our professionals, and we assure you that matter what the situation is, these fixes will solve your The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to Error
This error typically occurs when there have been many password input attempts made by the user and that count reaches the threshold limit. That is the reason we must always take care while typing a password because Microsoft takes the issue seriously. There must have been an account lockout threshold policy set by the user who probably has multiple accounts set up. This policy states the limit there is to enter the wrong password and once that limit is crossed, The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to Error will be shown to you and you no longer will be able to sign in to your computer and operate it.
If you want to start fixing this issue, the very first things you must try are
- Plugging the network cable out and restarting the computer. What this will do is the maybe confuse the time set which is updated by the network and lift the ‘Referenced account is currently locked and may not be logged on to’ lock error.
- Reset your password after disconnecting all the drives and rebooting the computer. This might fix your issue.
- Look up your Date and Time settings.
2 Fixes for The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to Error
Fix 1: Changing the Local Security Policy
First of all, we would highly recommend that you wait for around 40 minutes to 1 hour in case you receive The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to Error. Try to have some patience because there is a chance that the default timer set by the administrator is around that time and the unlocking process will begin after the threshold set by the administrator is met.
If you are successfully able to unlock your desktop, then it is highly recommended that you disable the account lockout threshold policy. The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to Error will not appear again no matter what if you do that.
- Press the Start + R key to open up the run dialog
- Input the command secpol.msc in it and press the Enter key
- Once you do that, it should pop up a window
- Search for the Security settings option and open up that window
- Open the Account Lockout Policy and replace the value with 0. Hit the Apply button.
- With this, now you will be able to Log in without any issues and won’t see the ‘Referenced account is currently locked and may not be logged on to’ lock error anymore.
Fix 2: Verifying the Domain Name System settings
In case the DNS settings are all messed up, you might face the ‘referenced account is currently locked and may not be logged on to’ lock error on your computer. There are loads and loads of malware applications which hijack your Domain Name System Settings.
- Open up the Start menu and click on the Network Connection settings
- Tap the Ethernet option and click on the Change Adapter Settings
- Open up the Properties of the Ethernet by right-clicking on it
- Find IPV4, i.e. the Internet Protocol Version 4 and open up its Properties
- Use the obtain the DNS addresses automatically and apply the changes
- If that does not work, then you should change the Domain Name Settings to custom and use the IP addresses provided by, i.e. the 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124
Other fixes which you rarely need to resort to are changing the account password to never expire in the users’ properties, Clear all the Windows credentials from the Credential manager, format your Windows Operating System using the pass reset disk.
The guide which we have presented here is one of the most comprehensive guides you will ever find on the internet.We have compiled this guide with all the methods which is dispersed all over the internet so that you can solve this error in any situation. Make sure to follow every step thoroughly. We hope this helps.Good luck!