- 1 Windows compatibility telemetry
- 2 Levels of telemetry
- 3 Steps to fix Windows 10 Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk Usage
Windows 10 has gained high prominence in offering a bunch of unique and useful features to the users. However, Microsoft is recognized to be the master which plans, delivers and builds the features, offered by Windows 10 as the operating system. The compatibility service is recognized to be one among them. This feature is enabled by default in each and every Microsoft device that is known for collecting the details about the user activity after which it is delivered to Microsoft. However, at times, it can lead to a lot of issues such as privacy issue, Microsoft high disk usage issue. The compattelrunner.exe should be disabled in the case of Microsoft compatibility telemetry.
Windows compatibility telemetry
The Microsoft Compatibility telemetry service, available with Windows 10 let the windows to personalize as well as customize the engagement surface of the windows. It also makes the Windows safe, secure and reliable. With the aid of this service, it is possible to provide great performance, even in the unfavorable conditions. It stands out of the ordinary in enhancing the performance of the windows. It is useful in keeping the windows updated. The Telemetry data of Windows is inclusive of metrics, system files, logs of applications which have been used in a frequent manner, diagnostic details, to name a few.
Levels of telemetry
You should not confuse the Microsoft compatibility Telemetry with the functional data. Hence, it is a prerequisite to have a better understanding of the telemetry data. The Microsoft compatibility telemetry should be inclusive of the kind of hardware which is used, the kind of applications that are installed, the usage of the applications which are installed, and reliability details regarding the device drivers.
There are four different levels of telemetry where the first one is security and the next one is basic. The third one, on the other hand, is known to be Enhanced and Full is the last one.
In this level, the collected telemetry data is needed with an eye to keeping the Windows device really secure. The telemetry data can be stored and availed in the Windows IoT Core, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Education editions, only.
In this certain level, you are going to find the last set of data which is needed with an eye to understanding the device. It is also essential for identifying different issues. The telemetry data which is available at a certain level is the least.
The Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10 High Disk Usage happens to be a really common issue.
In this certain level, the collected telemetry data lets the user know how to use the Windows as well as its applications.
As the name indicates, in the last level, it is possible to gain complete information from the above-mentioned levels.
Steps to fix Windows 10 Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk Usage
Here are a few steps in order to fix Windows 10 Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High CPU Usage issue:
Disabling the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry with the aid of Group Policy Editor
You can disable the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry with the aid of Group Policy Editor for resolving the issue. You need to perform the below-mentioned steps in order to do so:
- You need to hit the Windows+R key for opening the Run Window
- Next, do this, gpedit.msc should be typed after which you require pressing the Enter key or hit the OK button.
- After clicking on the Computer configuration, you require navigating to the Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection with an eye to previewing the Builds.
- You should be double-clicking on the Allow Telemetry after which the pop-up window is going to appear.
- From the top left corner, you should choose to disable and next to this, hit on the OK button.
Using Registry Editor
Here are the steps that need to be followed for fixing the Windows 10 Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High DISK Usage:
- Press Windows + R key simultaneously to open the Run Window on the system.
- Type regedit in it and hit Ok.
- The User Account Control will prompt you. You should be hitting on the Yes button for opening an instance of Registry Editor on your system.
- The next step involves navigating to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Data Collection.
- After this, right-click anywhere on the Data Collection tab for selecting New.
- Now, choose DWORD (32-bit) value, available in the drop-down menu. You will find that a new pop-up window has come up right below the default values in Data Collection.
- Rename the new value as Allow Telementary and double-click on it to open the Edit window.
- Now set the new value to zero and click the Ok button.
Using the CMD for disabling the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
Here are the steps that should be followed in order to fix the Windows 10 Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk Usage:
- You should be hitting on the Windows+R button for opening the Run Window, present on the system.
- Type cmd and hit on the OK button.
- Now type sc delete DiagTrack in the command prompt window after which you need to press the Enter key.
- After waiting for few seconds, type the following command: sc delete dmwappushservice and hit the enter key.
- You need to perform the above mentioned step with the below command:
echo “” > C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Diagnosis\\ETLLogs\\AutoLogger\\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
- You again need to repeat the similar step with the below mentioned command:
reg add “HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Using Task Scheduler
- In the first step, you need to enter the Windows+R key for opening the Run window on the system.
- You should be typing taskschd.msc after which you should be hitting on the OK button. You will find that a new window for the Task Scheduler has appeared on the screen.
- In the next step, you require navigating towards the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience.
- In the next step, it is essential to disable three programs which are inclusive of Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser, AIT Agent, and Program Data Update.
- In order to disable them, you require right-clicking on the certain program after which you need to choose Disable, present in the drop-down menu with an eye to disabling the selected program.