The root problem for the error statement The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable is when you want to get to an external drive which stores data. It could be a portable hard disk, micro SD card, pen drive, etc. If you are unable to access the drives because of the The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable error then there is surely a bug in your device. The problem has to be confronted and solved in order to gain access to the data. This might happen when you do not use the safe removal option for your portable drive. The The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable error on Windows 10 might also occur when your system has been infected by malicious applications which lead to corrupted files as well as bad drive sections.
We will analyze the errors which are creating this problem step by step. In order to know the root cause, you will have to try our fixes till you get it right because there is no one stop solution for the problem.
There are different computers with different configurations and each and every one of them facing this problem might have another core reason. We do not want the users to jump places and waste their time in order to find the correct fix to for their system.
That is the reason we have compiled a guide which consists of all the fixes available all over the internet in a simplified manner. We assure you that even an average user will be able to follow this guide easily.
There have been instances where the users have cause irreversible damage to their systems. The damage is caused by the misconfiguration of certain files which are important to the operating system. Make sure you create a system restore point so that your system will be recoverable and you can go all out on all the fixes which are mentioned below.
3 Easy Fix for The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable Error
Caution: The check disk command might delete all your data on the bad partitions which are damaged. Make sure to backup any data which is of value to you.
Fix 1: Perfrom Check Disk Using Command Prompt
- Press the Start + X key in order to open up the Command Prompt with administrative privileges
- Use the command: chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- Make sure to press Enter after inputting the command and not just start at the screen
- The drive mentioned in the above command should be the drive in which the Windows Operating System has been installed. /f provides the appropriate permissions to fix all the errors. /r checks for the bad partitions. /x tells the compiler to dismount before the process starts
- After everything has been done, you will have to restart your computer to let the changes take effect
In case the The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable error still persists, make sure you move on to the next fix in order to find the root cause
Fix 2: Change the name of the drive
- Press the Start + R key in order to open up the Run dialog
- Use diskmgmt.msc command in the input box and press the Enter key in order to open the Disk Management config menu
- You will be able to find the external device which you are using. Make sure you right click on it and click on the ‘Change drive letter and paths’ option
- Click the button labelled as Change and use any alphabet you wish to set the name to
- Click on the Ok button and make sure all the changes are applied
- Reboot your computer in order for all the changes to take effect
Fix 3: Delete Corrupted Data
In case there is no significant data which you need the copy of, you can simply clean the drive in order to see if the The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable is solved. You can use the disk management as well as the command prompt to do the job for you in case you are unable to find the path using the Explorer UI.
Simply right click the path name and click on the format option. Follow the on screen instructions in order to successfully clean the disk of all the data there is on it.
This is one of the most comprehensive and simple guide you can find in order to solve the The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable error. Make sure you follow each and every step which we devised for you in order to find the bulletproof method which works for you. We hope this guide will help you solve all your errors. Good luck!