This is one of the most frequently occurring boot errors which the Windows users are facing and it occurs mainly when there is a problem in your hard disk drive. There is a chance that it might fail in case this error is not tended. It might be in the middle of installation of the Windows Operating system or in the middle of something else long after you have installed the Windows Operating System. There is chance that the hard drive has a sector which has been damaged or everything has been corrupted in the HDD.
In case you get a green light, make sure to backup the data so that everything is safe. The message might be slightly different for a number of users but the problem it indicates is the same.
The error message depends on the config that you are using.
There are two types of messages which will be displayed here:
- ‘Recovery, There was a problem with a device Connected to your PC’
- ‘An Unexpected I/O Error has occurred, Error code: 0xc00000e9’
We have devised the perfect guide in order to solve both of these errors. We have collected all the fixes from a number of sources available on the internet as well as some external sources. Different computers use different configurations and that is the reason there are different underlying problems which those systems might be facing. That is why there is no global fix for this. We recommend that you try each and every fix listed here so that you can find the underlying problem for your specific config because we do not want you to waste your time searching for the perfect fix using unreliable sources and jumping from one forum to another.
There have been instances where the users have misconfigured their system in a way that it becomes almost next to impossible to recover. We do not want to waste a ton of time doing that and that is the reason system restore is always essential. Make sure that you create a system restore point in order to capture all the config values at the time being so that you can just use one tap to recover them all.
Steps to fix Unable to boot error 0xc00000e9
Fix 1: System Restore
- In case you do not have an installation media, create one using a portable disk drive. Make sure that you have edited the boot sequence in order to boot into the setup.
- Once you have booted into the installation media, press any key to continue once it prompts you to do so
- Select the language that you prefer and click on the next button
- Click on the link to repair your computer
- Click on the option labelled ‘Troubleshoot’
- As soon as you open the troubleshoot screen, click on the button which says ‘Advanced Options’
- Inside the advanced options menu, opt for the option that says ‘Startup/Automatic repair’
- Follow all the on screen instructions in case it prompts you to do something
- After it has been done, exit the setup and reboot your computer
This should be able to fix the Unable to boot Error 0xc00000e9
In case the ‘Unable to boot error’ is still persistent, make sure to jump on to the next fix in order to find the root cause of the problem.
Fix 2: Perform SFC Scan
- Use the F8 button in order to open up the advanced boot options while the computer is in the process of booting.
- Opt for the safe mode option. Once you are into the safe mode, press the Start + X keys in order to open up the command prompt using administrative rights
- Use the commands which we have mentioned below:
chkdsk /f C:
- Make sure to input them one by one and press the enter key after entering each command.
- After each of these commands have completed processing, make sure to reboot your computer for the system wide effect to take place.
Fix 3: Re-install Windows OS
In case all the fixes mentioned before this fail, you will need to clean install the Windows Operating System using a portable disk drive which consists of the installation images files. This will surely fix all the problems you are facing and help your system function optimally.
This is one of the best guides you can use in order to fix the ‘Unable to boot Error 0xc00000e9’. Just make sure that you follow all the steps mentioned under each fix one by one and we assure you that you will be able to eliminate the root cause and get rid of this error. We hope that this guide helps you out. Good luck.