In case you are facing this error, you are not alone. There have been a good amount of people who have experienced this error and that is the reason we have created this guide. This error blocks you from accessing the desired website and you will be present with an error message on your screen which says ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR. In some cases, users are able to load specific websites, but most of the times, this will not be possible. The root cause of this error is unknown in most of the cases.
We have devised this guide particularly so that you can find out the reason behind this issue in your config. Different computers use different configuration and even a slight change in config might mean the root cause is totally different. We have collected, customized and simplified these guides using several sources on the internet as well as some other external sources. We do not want you to waste your time searching for the perfect solution for your system configuration by jumping from one thread to another because if you try the fixes listed here, they will be more than enough for you to completely eradicate the problem from your PC.
There have been situations where people have tried to modify the steps in order to try to find a shorter way or learn new things. We totally recommend trying new things but in some cases, these things can cause major misconfigurations and those might become next to impossible to solve. That is the reason, if you want to explore new things, we recommend that you create a system restore point. This point will record all the configurations which are present at the time and in case you create an unsolvable mess, you can simply use the system restore point in order to fix your config.
How to fix ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR in Chrome
Fix 1: Disabling the QUIC Protocol in Google Chrome
The QUIC is a part of the transport layer in the TCP/IP model. It was introduced in 2012 by Google. The main goal of this quick protocol is to improve the performance. This might be the core problem which your browser is facing. To disable the QUIC in chrome:
- Type chrome://flags in the url input bar of the Chrome browser and press the enter button.
- Search for the experimental QUIC protocol and click on the dropdown menu.
- Select the disable option.
- Restart the browser and check if the changes have been applied.
This should fix ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR error in google chrome right away.
In case this error still persists and the web pages are blocked, make sure to move on to the next guide in order to find the root cause of this problem.
Fix 2: Remove/Disable Extensions
One of the best functionalities which the Google Chrome browser introduced is the extension feature. These extensions make your browsing experience so lavish and effortless. These extensions use your resources when they are active in your browser and that is the reason, sometimes, the resources are overused.
There are some extensions which are malicious or are buggy which leads to errors. That is why you should consider uninstalling or disabling the extensions which you find unwanted or problematic. This will improve your browsing performance and make your browser less prone to errors.
- Open the Google Chrome browser and type chrome://extensions in the url address input bar.
- Press the enter key in order to open the extension settings menu.
- Disable the extensions which you do not want to use but want to keep so that you do not have to redownload them in future.
- You can disable and delete the extensions which you might not use in the future.
- Restart the browser and check if the settings have been applied.
Fix 3: Disable Proxies
- Press the Start + R keys in order to open up the run dialog
- Type in the command inetcpl.cpl and hit the enter key in order to open up the Internet Configuration dialog
- Open the Connections window and click on the LAN settings option
- Disable the radio button which says Use a proxy server for your LAN
- Enable the radio button which says Automatically Detect Settings
- Press the Ok button and restart your computer for the changes to take full effect
This should fix the ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR error in Google Chrome instantaneously.
This is one of the best guides you can use for solving the ERR_QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR issue in your Chrome browser. Make sure that you follow all the steps listed under each and every fix in order to find the root cause of the problem in your config. We hope that this guide helps you. Good luck.