This is one of the most common errors which is faced by the Windows 10 users. When the users try deleting the temporary files in their Windows 10 Operating system, they are unable to do it because the configuration of the Windows Operating System is incorrect. When you open up the storage settings and open the location where all the temporary files are stored and you finally try to delete them all, there should be no problems in doing so. But in this case, the user is facing an error for the same. There are old files which are not needed by the Windows Operating System in the temporary junk which remains as a result of updating stuff. Therefore, it is essential that you do not allow junk files to take over the space which is valuable.
There are scenarios where the temporary files which are contaminating the computer are high in size and the user is not able to remove them even though they keep on trying multiple times in order to delete the files.
We have compiled an all rounder guide for you so that you can easily be able to fix this issue and get that space which is captured by the junk back. This guide consists multiple ways to solve this problem because there are different users facing different scenarios. We would not want the users to keep on jumping from website to website in order to look for a simple fix.
There have been instances where the users have cause irreversible damage to their systems. The damage is caused by the misconfiguration of certain files which are important to the operating system. Make sure you create a system restore point so that your system will be recoverable and you can go all out on all the fixes which are mentioned below.
3 Fixes for Delete Temporary Files on Windows 10
Fix 1: Use Disk Cleanup Utilities
- Open up My Computer
- Right click on the drive which stores the temporary files and click the Properties option
- Click on the button named Disk Cleanup
- You computer will start making calculations and it might take some time depending on the system which you are using and the data that’s there
- Use the button which says Clean up System Files
- Make sure that all the options including the most important ones i.e. Previous Windows Installation(s) and Temporary Windows Installation files are checked
- Click the Ok button and wait for everything to be cleaned
Fix 2: Use Third-party Software for Deleting
We recommend that you download the CCleaner application in order to make your life drastically easier. Make sure you download it using the official website. CCleaner is used to remove junk files from the computing system as well as clean registry and solve errors. It was originally developed by the piriform developers but is now acquired by avast. They have released a ton of updates since it was released and it is now even better.
- Download CCleaner using this link
- Install by opening the setup file and following on screen instructions
- Open the Options menu and enable the Only Delete Temporary Files which are older than 24 hours option
- Run the CCleaner application. It will first analyze the junk files in your system and then remove them.
- Restart your computer after you are done and all the files will be deleted.
The above fix should be able to help you solve the Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10 problem.
In case it is not working out for you, follow the next fix.
Fix 3: Remove all the temporary junk manually
- Open up the Run dialog by using the Start + R key
- Type the command: temp and press the Enter button
- Delete all the files as well as folders in the temp folder that opens up
- Open the Run dialog once again and type the command: %temp% in it
- Press the Enter key
- Delete all the files and folders which appear before you
- Press the Start + R key
- Type the command: prefetch and press Enter
- Select all the files and folders and delete them
- After you are done with the above steps, make sure to reboot the computer
This guide will surely be able to fix all the problems which you are facing. Make sure that you follow each and every step which we have devised for you. We hope that this guide helps you solve the unable to delete temporary files in windows 10 issue. Good luck!