- 1 2 Fixes for We couldn’t update the system reserved partition Error
The We couldn’t update the system reserved partition error mostly occurs in the Windows 10 Operating System and more specifically to the users who updated the Windows 10 Operating System recently. The Extensible Firmware Interface system is a storage device used to store information related to the Unified Extensible firmware Interface . The We couldn’t update the system reserved partition error occurs because there is not enough storage space for information on the Extensible Firmware Interface system i.e. the reserved partition might be facing storage issues. The EFI is also known as ESP and the partition on the drive (ssd/hdd) is reserved specifically for it.
When this problem comes forth, this is the statement which the user typically faces: ‘Windows 10 couldn’t be installed. We couldn’t update the system reserved partition’
You might be wondering how to fix this issue. This is simple and there is no need to panic because all that you will need to do in order to fix the ‘Windows 10 couldn’t be installed. We couldn’t update the system reserved partition’ error is change the size of the reserved partition and we will walk you through a tutorial to do so.
Our experts have compiled the best guide in order for you to completely solve the ‘Windows 10 couldn’t be installed. We couldn’t update the system reserved partition’ error. There are a number of fixes here because different users have different configurations and one might or might not work for another. We do not want you to waste your time by searching for different fixes in order to find the specific fix which works out for you so make sure that you follow this guide thoroughly to solve this error as soon as possible.
There have been instances where the users have cause irreversible damage to their systems. The damage is caused by the misconfiguration of certain files which are important to the operating system. Make sure you create a system restore point so that your system will be recoverable and you can go all out on all the fixes which are mentioned below.
2 Fixes for We couldn’t update the system reserved partition Error
Fix 1: Use a tool in order to easily execute all the functions
- There is a tool popularly known as the Minitool Partition Wizard
- You can search the term ‘download minitool partition wizard’ and you will surely find a good amount of download links for this tool
- Make sure to download the tool from a trusted website so that there are no issues which make the problems for your computer even worse.
- Now after you have installed the application, make sure that you select the link to ‘Extend Partition’
- Select the partition which you would like so that you can allow the system to use that space.
- Select the amount of space which you want the system to allocate to the use of the Extensible Firmware Interface. Apply all the settings. Make sure that you do not increase the size of the partition to more than 1 GB.
This should be able to fix the ‘Windows 10 couldn’t be installed. We couldn’t update the system reserved partition’ error.
There is a chance that some people who are reading this guide might feel insecure about using the third party application in order to ease their job. We assure you that it is not virus but if you are still stuck on the manually setting the size thing, follow the next fix in order to fix the ‘Windows 10 couldn’t be installed. We couldn’t update the system reserved partition’ error manually.
Fix 2: Use Command Prompt
The thing you need to know in order to solve this error manually is the partition type. It can be either MBR or GTP. If you do not know which type it is, follow these steps
- Press the Start + R button in order to open up the Run dialog
- Type the command diskmgmt.msc in the input box and press the Enter button
- Open the Disk properties by right clicking the name of the disk and, clicking the Properties option
- Open the Volumes option and check whether the partition type is Master Boot Record or GUID Partition Table (MBR or GPT).
Now, we have mentioned two processes below. The one which you want to follow is below the name of the stated partition in your system.
Steps for the GUID Partition Table (GPT)
- Press the Start + X key combination to open up the Command Prompt using the administrative privileges
- Use the command : mountvol yourdriveletter: /s and press the Enter button in order to enter the partition
- Now use the command: taskkill /im explorer.exe /f and hit the Enter button
- Type explorer.exe and press the Enter button
- Now use the Start + E key combination in order to open up the File Explorer
- Use the path yourdriveletter:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ in the explorer’s address search bar
- Remove all the languages except the English language folder
- Destroy all the fonts which you do not use
- This should fix all your problems
For the MBR partition a portable drive with 250MB free space is required in order to perform this method
- Open the Run dialog by pressing the Start + R key and type diskmgmt.msc in it
- Use the option called ‘Recovery Partition’. Right click on the ‘Recovery Partition’ and click the option to change the letter/paths of the drive.
- Click on the option to Add and type in the letter y and then press the Enter key.
- Press the Start + X buttons in order to open up the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Use the commands :
- takeown /d y /r /f .
- whoami (for fetching the username data)
- icacls . /grant <username>:F /t
- attrib -s -r -h Y:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim
- Check the drive letter of the external drive and note it down
- Use the commands :
- mkdir F:\Recovery\WindowsRE
- xcopy Y:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim F:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim /h
- C:\Windows\System32\Reagentc /SetREImage /Path F:\Recovery\WindowsRE /Target C:\Windows
- del Y:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim /F
- Now open Disk Management and expand the Action option. Click on the option to Refresh. This should increase the size of the partition.
- Finally, use the commands:
- xcopy F:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim Y:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim /h
- C:\Windows\System32\Reagentc /SetREImage /Path Y:\Recovery\WindowsRE /Target C:\Windows
- Now, simply select the disk management and in the change drive letters and paths option, remove the Y: drive.
We have created the best guide in order for you to solve the ‘Windows 10 couldn’t be installed. We couldn’t update the system reserved partition’. Make sure to follow each and every step thoroughly. We hope that this guide helps you. Good luck.