There is a chance that the Windows users might receive the message which says that the updates could not be completed and the changes are being undone. The message even states that the user should not turn their computer off. This is one of the most annoying problems because everything will be a never ending loop.
If you want to fix this problem, this is just the right place for you because we will discuss each and everything required in order to solve this issue in every situation possible. This is because the users with different configurations might need to use another fix in order to solve this issue. The Windows 10 Operating System is one of the most trending Operating systems right now and similar to other Windows versions, there are bugs which this system faces as well.
The issue that we are going to discuss here is the one where Windows downloads the updates and restarts the computer.
The update process starts when the computer is rebooted but does not progress any further and then starts rolling back. The error message states: ‘We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don’t turn off your computer.’ and this error messages results in a bootloop. No matter how many times you restart your computer, this error will persist. The only thing that just might change and light a hope after several restarts is the message which says: ‘Installing Updates 15% We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don’t turn off your computer Restarting’
What this will do is make the updates reach 29-32% and the updates will then get stuck there once again and the rolling back process will be initialized because the updates could not install. This will once again take us back to the same tracks i.e. the bootloop. Make sure you follow the fixes which are mentioned here so that you can fix this really terrifying error easily.
Our experts have compiled a bunch of fixes from many different sources so that you do not need to waste your time searching for the specifics which are in sync with the system configuration you have. Follow our guide so that you can solve these errors flawlessly.
There have been instances where the users have cause irreversible damage to their systems. The damage is caused by the misconfiguration of certain files which are important to the operating system. Make sure you create a system restore point so that your system will be recoverable and you can go all out on all the fixes which are mentioned below.
2 Fixes for We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes Error
Fix 1: Remove or rename the folder known as Software Distribution
- Press the Start + X key in order to open up the Command Prompt using administrative privileges
- Input the commands which we have stated below and make sure that you press the enter key after entering each and every one of the commands in the list:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop msiserver stop wuauserv
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- Open the C drive
- Browse to Windows > SoftwareDistribution folder and delete everything in there
- Open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges once more and use the following commands:
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start msiserver stop wuauserv
- net start bits
- Reboot your device so that the changes will take effect
- Now you can try to use the update utility once more and everything might start working again without errors.
- In case the errors are still persistent, try to change the date of your computer before you updated it and you might be able to boot normally once more.
If you are still receiving the ‘Installing Updates 15% We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don’t turn off your computer Restarting’ error, make sure you jump to the next fix.
Fix 2: Use Troubleshooter
- Search for the term Windows Update Troubleshooter on the Microsoft Windows website and make sure you download the appropriate version for your Operating system.
- Double click the file which you download from the Windows Troubleshooter website and click the Next button in order to run the Troubleshooter
- Follow the instructions which are provided by the application and see if you find a problem.
- The Troubleshooter will most probably automatically fix the problems which are found on your computer and help with the updation process.
- Make sure all the changes are applied and reboot your computer.
- You should be able to run the Windows Update utility now without any problems for sure without the ‘Installing Updates 15% We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don’t turn off your computer Restarting’ error appearing anymore.
This is one of the most comprehensive guides you can find anywhere. Make sure you follow all the steps under all the fixes in order to find the one which works out for you. We hope this guide helps you solve the ‘Installing Updates 15% We couldn’t complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don’t turn off your computer Restarting’ error. Good luck.