There is a possibility that the Application Error 0xc0000142 error can occur in many versions of the Windows operating systems and this error usually appears when the software is not able to initialize itself in a proper manner, The Application Error 0xc0000142 is one of the most annoying errors and one of the most common errors too. There are loads of core Windows platforms which it has taken an effect on and in case you try to run the software, it will display the error:
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.
There are different causes for this particular error and we will list them in this guide. Although some rare conditions might turn out to be really unique, we have mentioned all the conditions which are the most common ones because that’s what happens most of the time. Even if that is not the case with you, rest assured that this guide will help you solve your problems.
The Application Error 0xc0000142 is caused when there is a program which has been corrupted or is not functioning in a normal way. There might be other conflicts as well. A ton of users have experienced this error with the command prompt’s executable file or more commonly known as the CMD. The CMD is the Disk Operating System emulator which is there by default on all the Microsoft Windows operating systems. This error won’t help you much when you try to trace it back and it will not exactly tell you what is wrong with the application that you are trying to use but a standard fix which has been devised by our experts will surely help you get by this error in no time.
One of the most common reasons the Application Error 0xc0000142 error appears is because there are bad files or damaged files on your system. Those files are essential for the applications to run and in case they are modified, there might be a system wide malfunction. This makes your system really inoperable.
The types of methods which we can use in order to fix this issue:
- Uninstall unknown programs (example:search protect or sw booster)
- Fix all the registry errors which you are facing
- Update the drivers of your hardware devices
- Reinstall the visual c++
- Install the DirectX which is supported by your system
- Install the dot net framework (.net)
- Disable all the third party anti malware or antivirus applications
Before you follow the guide which we have compiled for you, please create a system restore point.
Steps to Fix Application Error 0xc0000142
Fix 1: Remove all the programs which your find to be unnecessary or unknown
Some of the most common applications which cause the ‘Application Error 0xc0000142’ error are the ‘Search Protect’, the ‘SW Booster’ and the ‘Performance Optimizer’ applications.
In order to uninstall the applications causing the issue,
- Open the Control Panel. You can find it in the Start menu, If you don’t, just look it up using the search bar.
- Click on the Install/Uninstall Program link and a window will open up
- Look the name of the suspicious programs up and click on the Uninstall button.
- Restart your computer and then check if the error is appearing again
In case it appears again, simply follow the next method
Fix 2: Modify Registry Entries
- Open the Run dialog by searching for it in the Start menu.
- You can also open the dialog by pressing the Start + R keys
- Type regedit in the input box and press Enter
- Open up the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion \Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs
- Open up the LoacAppInit_DLLs and change the value to
- Click on the Ok button in order to save all the changes and close all the windows. You will now be able to run all the applications flawlessly without experiencing the ‘Application Error 0xc0000142’ error.
If the above method does not fix the error, move on to the next method
Fix 3: Update the video card drivers
In case you are using a GPU (Graphics card), open the website of that company and see if there are any driver updates available for your GPU drivers. In case there is an update available, download and install the update. Make sure you restart the computer after updating the drivers because the change might not take effect.
We have started all the methods which need to be expressed in detail in this article. They should work in most of the cases, but in case they do not, try to go through the list of fixes given mid article so that you can solve the problem using something else. We hope this article helps you solve the error . Good luck.