There have been many issues raised in the past about this error and they are being raised now as well because of the bugs that the Windows systems tend to carry over the long term. But we cannot blame the developers for all of this because there are literally millions of applications being developed all over the place and the developers try their best to release updates that supports globally. In this blogpost article, we are going to talk about the Windows Update Error 0x80070020.
If in case there is a bug in the system, the developers in Microsoft try their best to provide solutions to the users so that they can have a smooth experience. However, everyone knows that even for some truly gigantic forums, it is not possible to store all the use cases in the world that help you counter your particular problem. That is the sole reason we have created this article in order to get you as many fixes as possible for all the scenarios which might occur.
We have collected these fixes from various sources on the internet as well as a ton of people who have experienced this in reality so that you don’t need to go through the hassle of doing that. The daily Windows software updates is really exciting for developers because they want new features to be implemented and want them to function as smooth as possible. Sadly, no updates exist without errors and that has been a record-breaking thing done by the Windows team. Some of the issues which you might have faced are:
- The latest version of the update is not downloading
- All the necessary files have been downloaded but the problem is that Windows cannot install them
- The latest updates to the Operating System have been downloaded and also been installed but now… Surprisingly, the Windows updates which were installed cannot be compatible and the Windows OS has to revert back the updates it implemented.
If you have encountered these problems, this guide is for you.
Make sure you note down the error code on the Windows update failure error to find out more about the error, and hence solve it.
One of the errors you face might be the 0x80070020. The very first instance of this error code was reported back in the ending of 2014 when the beta version of the Windows 10 OS was accessible.
The error was successfully patched, but now, the issues have started popping up again.
Following are the error statements you might receive:
- Windows could not search for new updates
- An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
- Error(s) found :- Code 0x80070020 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
There are a ton of issues which the users are facing in the creator’s update by Windows and this is one of them. There is no reverse engineering that can be done to check the source of this problem and this shouts out loud how bad this bug is.
It could be very much possible that this is a third party error, Windows update error or a virus causing all of these issues for you. That is the reason you will need to try several different methods in order to fix this annoying issue.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070020
FIX 1: Uninstall Third-Party AntiVirus
There is a common saying that using the third party antivirus software can bug some things up in the Windows system.
This happens because that antivirus is either mistakenly detecting an essential file or deleting the process in the Windows system as a virus and blocking it and maybe it is meddling with false positives.
That is the reason you should try installing well-known antivirus software instead of any free stuff you get over the internet. Please check the user reviews and comments before downloading any product you use so that you don’t face any problems in future.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager
- Find the antivirus process in the Processes tab and click on the End Task/Process button
- Open up Apps and Features by looking it up in the Start menu
- Search the third party antivirus software which you are using in the list and click on the Uninstall button
- Restart your computer after it is uninstalled
Fix 2: Restart BITS Service
- Press Start + R key to open run.
- Type services.msc and press Ok. Search for background intelligent transfer service.
- Right click on it and select Properties > General > Startup type > Automatic*
In case the bits service is not running, right click and select the Start option
We are done with the guide here. This should fix all your update related problems. Make sure that you follow each and every step carefully to get a smooth experience. We hope that this guide was able to help you. Good luck!